Thursday, April 19, 2012

Nutrition 5k



Last Saturday, I ran in my first organized race since my half marathon last October.  It is amazing to me how excited I still get at 5k's.  I get butterflies in my tummy.  I love it!  Initally, I signed up for it with thoughts of placing, at least for my age group.  The population is smaller here than any other place I've raced.  From a statistical standpoint, it's more possible here than anywhere else.  I certainly won't be placing in Chicago races!  Unless become super speedy in the near future.  Anyways, something came up with Amy and Tom, causing them to drive up to Chicago the day before my race.  At first I didn't think I'd be able to run at all, but the neighbor, Rachel, came through for me and offered to watch Hannah while I pushed Riley.  As soon as I knew I had to push Riley, I knew I wouldn't place.  Pushing the jogging stroller adds a minute to my mile time.  Anyways, I get out there and am so excited and anxious.  The route was beautiful and flat, an easy course to run.  I had not one, but TWO stroller malfunctions that were all my fault.  I was rushing to get to check in and forgot to latch the front wheel in place.  I realized this on my second stop and fixed it quickly but the stops still cost me 30 seconds.  I crossed the finish at 28:36.  Not only is this the fasted I've run pushing the stroller, but that's counting to stops!  When you factor out the stops, I was running roughly a 9:08 pace, pushing the stroller.  I am super proud of myself and now I really wonder how I would've done if I hadn't been pushing Riley.  There's always a next time though.  One lady came up to me after the race and complimented me on how well I did, even with my stops.  Another guy, the only stroller/parent combo that finished before me, complimented me too.  I'm off to find my next 5k here in Carbondale!


No comments: