Tuesday, November 17, 2009

28 and broken


Yesterday morning, I got up with Hannah and started my morning routine.  I brushed my teeth, let the dog out of the kennel, and then out the back door.  The back door is on the back side of the garage, down two steps.  So I let the dog out and then put food in his bowl.  We keep his food in the garage.  I was coming down the steps, to put the cup back in his bag of food, when this all occurred.  I stepped from the bottom step onto the concrete floor with my right foot, and rolled on top my foot.  I fell down and heard something snap but I thought it was the plastic cup smacking the floor.  My foot hurt pretty bad when I tried to put it down, so I managed to get David out of bed, by yelling for a few minutes ; ), to help me back inside.  He knew as soon as he looked at my foot that it was broken.  I was more optimistic.  Truthfully, if I did not enjoy the active lifestyle that I do, I might not have even gone to the doctor's yesterday.  But I really don't want to mess myself up running.  So we headed to the ER.  We dropped Banana off at my sisters.  The ER visit wasn't so bad, time wise.  We showed up a little before 10 and were out of there by noon.  They did give me 2 percocet before we checked out.  Two big (10's) precocets.  I felt so drunk for the next 6 hours.  The ortho doctor even commented on my drunk look.  I think one will do.  I have a spiral break, in the bone just under my pinkie toe.  I have to admit, I can't believe it hurts as bad as it does.  I felt like a wimp yesterday.  Right now it's in a splint, because I am told it will continue to swell over the next couple of days.  I go back in a week, for a cast probably.  I don't need one, but because I am a runner, and a stay at home mom of a 2 1/2 year old with a small horse (Rossi) they're going to cast it for protection measures.  I can't do any physical activity, my kind, for 3 months.  And absolutely no pressure on it for the next couple of days.  I'm telling ya - this is hard!  I'm sure anyone that's had a broken foot knows exactly what I mean.  I feel useless.  I think it's going to be a long 2 months.  Thankfully, Amy and Tom are on their way here right now.  They should be here this afternoon, to help out with Hannah.  They were already planning a trip in a couple weeks, so they just moved it up.  I feel very fortunate that they are in a place, both being retired and all, to help out.  For some reason, Hannah just doesn't understand why I can't open up here tent.

No comments: