Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Standard American Diet (S.A.D.)

I recently read this article: http://www.thedailymeal.com/why-healthy-food-deemed-elitist, which talked about why eating properly has become synonymous with an elitist attitude.  The author opens the with a story about a friend rolling her eyes when the author pulled a kale smoothie out of her refrigerator.  I can completely relate to the things the author said in this article.  I have often said when did it become necessary for my to apologize for eating the way we should all be eating?
The author reminds readers that junk food isn't always cheaper.  And people who have access to good food that is reasonably priced will buy it.  However, marketing has turned eating well into the trendy thing to do.  I couldn't agree more.
Here's my deal: I started eating healthier when Hannah was a baby.  My tastes slowly began to change.  I began eating more and more healthy.  My tastes continue to change.

 And you know, I actually like, really like, eating the food I choose.  I like kale.




  I winter squash, it goes great with Quinoa. 



 I love soy nuts, they're good on salads. 


 I genuinely think that greek yogurt spread on a bagel is just as good as cream cheese.



  Keep in mind, however, that I eat greek yogurt 2 or 3 times a week.  I eat cream cheese 2 or 3 times a year.  My taste buds have changed.  Don't misunderstand me, I'll eat all the other stuff but when given a choice, I will choose "healthy food."  And I'll choose the "healthy" option not because it's trendy or not because I'm watching my waistline but because it is what my taste buds prefer.  Anyways, the article is a good read.  Check it out.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Samanth, you're absolutely right... you don't have to apologize to anyone. You want to eat like a rabbit, it's your decision and no one else's! Don't forget, when the girl's get just a couple of years older I look forward to them spending a month or so in the summer with me. Oh yeah.... :)

Grandpa Bob