Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's just who I am

CONTACT of Fayetteville, Inc., is a non-profit Christian-based, 24-hour telephone crisis helpline and referral service.

It's hard to remember who Samantha is when I'm in mommy mode right now. I was not able to enroll in school this semester because I missed all the deadlines for transfer students, so I don't have that going on either. And my closest girlfriends are spread out pretty much everywhere but here. A couple months ago, I was watching an episode of Intervention, on A&E, when I got this overwhelming desire to help someone. That night, I researched crisis center's in the Fayetteville Area. After getting settled here, I called a center, called Contact. I spoke to the lady on the phone for about 10 minutes. I hung up the phone feeling so good about my decision, and so excited about volunteering. Tonight is my first night of a 5 week communication course taught by Contact. Then I'll start volunteering to work the telephone lines, probably once a week or something. It's hard to explain how happy and excited I am to be doing this. It's all for me, and no one else. It makes me feel so good inside. And David, could say if I can give my time up, I should be getting paid for it, especially right now. But that's not what he said. He just smiled, and said okay, sounds good. That's why he's my husband. =) I'll let everyone know how it goes.

No comments: