Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cinco de Mayo 10k & 5k

This past Saturday, Hannah and I ran the Cinco de Mayo 10k and 5k.  I signed up for the 10k and Hannah up for the 5k.  Our friends, Ashley and Ty, and their two kids, Logan and Iris, were also running in the race.  


The day was yucky.  It was cold, windy and rainy.  Unlike many 10k/5k combo's, the 5k for this even started 50 minutes after the 10k.  So 10k runners could opt to run the 5k as well.  This was basically my plan, to run the 10k then catch up with the 5k and finish with Hannah, who would be with Ty and Iris.  At the last minute, David decided he would join us and walk with Hannah and push Riley.  
I did pretty good, considering how miserable I've been feeling.  I was certain I would lose my breakfast somewhere between miles 3 and 4.  I finished at 57:14, a whole 6 minutes slower than my 10k just two weeks ago.  But it was better than I expected to do.   


I caught up with them a little past the one mile point.  Hannah was doing pretty good. She ran when she wanted and walked when she wanted.  


Logan, who was running the 10k, ran with Hannah for a little while.  




There is not a photo finish because Hannah had a rough finish.  I finished with Logan, while his mom Ashley stayed to motivate Iris.  When Hannah reached the finish line, she was ready to be done.  As soon as she finished, she bounced right back of course and said she would do it again.  I'm proud of her for sticking with it, even when I know she wanted to quit at the end.  

No comments: