Friday, February 10, 2012

The Choice for Cloth

We cloth diaper.  Not all the time but most of the time, especially when we're at home.  Michelle introduced me to them.  This was when Hannah about about 6 or 7 months old.  At first, my reasons were pretty simple: they were super cute.  Since Michelle made them, I was able to pick out the fabric I wanted and she would create an awesome, one of a kind diaper.  Plus, I never had to worry about being out of diapers.  And we'd save a little bit of money.  Right around this time is when my mind set began to change, and my thoughts lingered on the health and wellness of my family.  I started to take a hard look at what I was feeding my child, and my family.  I began to change my own eating habits.  I took a bigger plunge after Hannah turned one.  I began to believe in the benefits of eating organic.  I didn't want to eat junk food around Hannah, because I didn't want her to have it.  If I didn't want to feed it to my child, then why should I put it in my body?  

Hannah and Vivian in matching cloth diapers.  They're about 9 months old here.  



Personalized diapers.  One said "Made In Italy" and another said "Hannah Banana" with a banana on it.  So cute! 


Hannah and Vivian on their first birthday.  Hannah is wearing the exact same cloth diaper, in red.  


Here's Hannah, 1 year and 10 months.


Riley, carrying on the tradition, in cloth.


Over the years, my reasons for choosing to cloth diaper have increased.  Yes, it's a little more work but I'm a stay at home mom so it's not something I have a problem with.  And cloth diapering has changed, it's not the cloth diapering of our grandparents time.  The cleaning process is much easier.  My biggest complaint is the bulkiness of them compared to disposable.  I challenge anyone to do a feel comparison; feel a disposable and feel a cloth.  Now tell me what you want shoved against your personal parts.  Since beginning cloth diapering, neither of my kids have ever had a diaper rash. Of course, this could be from other factors.  But it could very well be because of my decision to cloth.  And ultimately, I believe the less I use disposable diapers, the better it is for our environment.  All around my thoughts on organic and holistic approaches to life have grown.  I try to use organic approaches to ailments.  I stay away from processed foods.  I believe that the human was not designed to digest crap.  I believe in the benefits of health and fitness, propelling my choice to become a personal trainer.
And through all this, I have David, who keeps me from getting too carried away, and holds strong to his chips and soda!  But, he did eat tofu twice in the last two weeks.     

For more information: 
http://www.whattoexpect.com/diapering-essentials/cloth-vs-disposables.aspx

No comments: