Monday, February 13, 2012

Having a Baby and Continuing to Change (Pt. 2)

So I get pregnant.  It's what David and I want, we'd been trying.  I continue to workout.  I worked out until I was 37 weeks.  And I hiked a mountain 4 days before my water broke.  

Why yes, I was trying to throw myself into early labor.  


Fast forward: Hannah starts eating table good.  I start to pay attention to the food I"m feeding her.  I conclude that I don't want her to eat crap food.  I started buying yogurt.  I bought nonfat and added honey to it until I began to have a taste for plain, nonfat yogurt.  I stopped eating chips in front of her, because I didn't want her to want chips.  I began to buy organic milk, fruits and vegetables.  One of the biggest changes I made was eating breakfast.  I had never consistently ate breakfast before but now that I stayed home with Hannah, I wanted to eat with her.  So we ate breakfast together.      
I still exercised.  Not as much as before I got pregnant.  I was very relaxed about everything at this point.  
Right before Hannah turned one, I went and saw registered dietician and nutritionist because I was curious about why I hadn't lost more weight.  I saw her a handful of times, kept a food journal for her, etc.  She concluded that I was at a stable point for breast feeding and she felt confident, based on my eating habits, that I'd loose weight once I stopped breast feeding.  
She was right.  In the first six months following my stop to breast feeding, I lost about 20 pounds.  I did it without thinking about it.  I just exercised like I wanted and ate like I wanted.  In December of 2008, I went to buy some new jeans and fit a size 4.  I couldn't believe it!  I'd never been that size and would have never guessed that I was that size.  

Christmas 2008

At this same time we were about to move to Fayetteville for David's job, and live with my dad for a little while.  I was anxious about this, because I knew how unhealthy he ate.  And I desperately didn't want that for myself or my family.  It's not that I didn't think I should be eating that way, I didn't think I should be eating that way every day.    It was a true concern of mine and I pondered/talked about it for at least a month before we moved in with him.  Looking back, this is where the trouble began.  
We moved in.  I tried to balance things out by cooking a couple times a week, but my cooking wasn't received well.  It's hard to go from a high concentration of fatty foods to a very low concentration because your taste buds become accustomed to fat.  This is where "training" your taste buds comes in to play.  
So I began to "save" calories.  
And exercise was no longer an option, but something I HAD TO DO.  

Stay turned for part 3.






No comments: